ESA Research Network 02 Sociology of the Arts
Call for Papers
The 2015 PhD-Student Research Award in Sociology of the arts
Deadlines: 15th February 2015 for the abstract by online submission platform, and 15th May 2015 for the full paper version by email to the Board of the RN Sociology of the Arts.
The Research Network 02 Sociology of the Arts that is an integrated part of the European Sociological Association (ESA) announces its bi-annual PhD-Student Research Award to recognize outstanding unpublished papers by PhD-students. The winner of the 2015 award will receive a 500 € prize.
Since the winner is required to present her/his paper at a section during the 12th Conference of the European Sociological Association (Prague, 25-28 August 2015) applicants must firstly submit an abstract of maximum 250 words to the 12th Conference of the ESA. For special instructions see the ESA conference website http://esa12thconference.eu/abstract-submission as well as the RN 02 Call for Papers http://esa12thconference.eu/rn2-sociology-of-the-arts.
Please note that the abstract submission deadline for the ESA conference is 15th February 2015.
Full Paper - Submission Instructions
- Submissions may be either empirically or conceptually based and should focus on topics of arts sociology – see http://www.europeansociology.org/research-networks/rn2-sociology-of-the-arts/57-rn2-profile.html
- Papers should be original; they should not have been published elsewhere
- Papers must be authored and submitted by PhD-students only. All authors must currently be PhD-students and by the submission deadline have not yet finished their PhD-studies
- Members of the board of RN Sociology of the Arts as well as persons who received in the past the PhD-Student Research Award of the RN Sociology of the Arts are ineligible
- All entrants must:
- Provide a (posted or PDF) letter on organizational letterhead from one faculty member certifying that the applicant is currently student at the PhD-programme of the university and that she / he wrote the paper.
- Submit a paper written in English, double-spaced, having 6.000-8.000 words (including all footnotes and references). Papers above this word-limit may not be eligible for the Award and may be returned to authors unreviewed.
- Submit two different PDFs electronically. The first PDF should include on the first page the author's name, full mailing and email addresses, phone number(s) and title of the paper. The research text should start on the second page beginning with the title and an abstract around 250 words followed by the research text. From the second page the author’s name should be excluded and any indication in the text that could reveal the author’s identity should be avoided. The second PDF should be absolutely identical with the first PDF excluding the first page.
- Entries (accompanied by faculty letters) must be emailed to daneugen.ratiu(at)gmail(dot)com by 15th May 2015. The winning paper will be announced by 1st July 2015.
Papers will be reviewed anonymously by the Board members of the Research Network Sociology of the Arts on the basis of the second (anonymous) PDF. The evaluation will be carried by the following criteria:
- The degree to which the paper addresses issues that are significant to the sociology of the arts;
- The extent to which the paper shows consideration of the relevant theoretical and empirical literature;
- The extent to which the paper makes a conceptual or empirical contribution.
In the absence of papers deemed deserving of the award, the award may be withheld.
Presentation, announcement and publication
- The winner must be present the paper at a section during the conference and must attend the Business Meeting of the Research Network Sociology of the Arts at the 12th Conference of the European Sociological Association will take place in Prague on 25-28 August 2015.
- The title of awarded paper and a very short description (70-100 words) will be published on the website of the Research Network Sociology of the Arts. (*)
- A comprehensive abstract (300-500 words) will be posted to the members of the Research Network.
(*) Please note: The publication of the short description on the RN-website does not constitute publication; the awarded authors are encouraged to submit papers for journal publication. In case of such a publication we would be happy to announce publication details, when they become available.